Connecticut Office of Tourism: Content Marketing Program
» see the work
Research shows that potential New England travelers don’t think of Connecticut as a place with much to see or do. The truth is, Connecticut has all of the top activities visitors want, and its compact size allows them to have more diverse experiences in less time. Content marketing was an ideal tool to change perceptions and inspire visitation through the channels where our audience seeks travel inspiration. The program was designed to:
- Demonstrate all there is to see and do in Connecticut, and its close proximity to our audience.
- Influence our audience by offering experiences that are most relevant/compelling to them.
- Promote and generate leads for hundreds of tourism businesses/events from every part of the state.
- Drive visitation efficiently on an ever-shrinking budget.
We set out to create and promote original content to inspire visitation and showcase multiple experiences that would reach the right audiences for each topic in multiple ways. We developed a content calendar of strategically selected topics based on multiple sources of data and then planned for 4-10 original pieces per month using experts, relevant influencers, and our own content creators.
The distribution strategy included hosting articles on CTvisit.com, and then promoting it using Google Adwords; promoted social media posts; paid YouTube placements; placements on our TripAdvisor page; content seeding via Taboola, and to our large email base—segmented by interest twice a month.
The content marketing campaign was a resounding success. In 2018 it:
- Inspired 2.8 million readers of our content
- Drove 50% of all traffic on CTvisit.com
- Featured over 1,000 different Connecticut hotels, restaurants, attractions, events and towns
- Provided over 3 million leads directly to Connecticut businesses
- Continues to be, by far, the most effective and efficient program in all of Connecticut Tourism marketing.
And most importantly:
- Those exposed to our content marketing campaign in NYC, one of our key markets for out-ot-state prospects, visited Connecticut 6 times more than those who were not exposed and stayed 3.5 times longer.
- Earned $14 in incremental state and local taxes for every $1 spent in the digital media supporting the content marketing campaign.
LOADING . . .